Saturday, May 08, 2010

Annals of Grading


Inside Higher Ed: No Grading, More Learning:

When Duke University's Cathy Davidson announced her grading plan for a seminar she would be offering this semester, she attracted attention nationwide. Some professors cheered, others tut-tutted, and others asked "Can she do that?"

Her plan? Turn over grading to the students in the course, and get out of the grading business herself.

Now that the course is finished, Davidson is giving an A+ to the concept. [...]

1 Comments:

  1. gaddeswarup said...

    Interesting. It will take some time to digest the article and comments there. One point I noticed about final exams. In my day, they were after an year, sometimes(?) after two years. In the courss where I paid some attention, I found the final intense effort of exams somehow put various pieces together and the topics stayed with me for a long time. In the subjects I did not pay attention ( I did not attend most of the classes after a while) I could still get through and even do well Sometines in the exams but the topics vanished soon after. It would be interesting to see the long time affects of these experiments.